Like many things we do at the ECHO, this isn’t your average photo contest.
People take pictures for a lot of different reasons. Maybe something about the way they felt in the moment, a memory that wanted to capture, something they find beautiful, or something they want to share with others. There are as many reasons for taking a photo as there are photographers.
Every month we strive to inspire you. We reach out into the community to introduce you to new people and places, make you laugh and maybe even cry. But at the very least, we hope you keep coming back to read our stories.
So here we are, with a photography contest. Most contests are looking for things that can be seen with the eye alone. But, as I said, this isn’t your average photo contest. Our judges will be looking for photos that tell a story – a story to be shared.
When you fill out your form, and you get to the question. “What’s your story?” we really want to know. Why was it that moment you chose to look through the lens (or at the screen)? Not sure how to answer? That’s ok. Do the best you can. Sometimes, once you get going, it becomes easier to put these kinds of thoughts on paper.
- Entries must be submitted online at echoak.com/2020covercontest
- The contest will run from March 1, 2020, to April 30, 2020.
- Age brackets: 12 and under, 13-18, 19 and over.
- The contest is open to all photographers – amateur and professional.
- Photographs that have been awarded prizes, licensed for publication, or selected for another juried photo exhibition are not eligible.
- Photographs must have been taken in Alaska, and after January 1, 2019.
- Photos must be suitable for general audiences; we will disqualify photos we deem unsuitable for general audiences.
- Participants under the age of 18 will need to provide contact information for a parent or guardian.
- All images must be submitted using the online entry page
- Each entrant may submit up to ten unique photos.
- Photos must be submitted as .jpg files less than 4MB. Higher-resolution files will be requested if necessary for the final rounds of judging and for print.
- Submissions may not be watermarked or signed.
- Entries that do not meet the qualifications will be disqualified.
- The panel will consist of three volunteer judges.
- Judges have no affiliation with ECHO Magazine or our associated companies.
- Images should accurately reflect subject matter and scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (cropping, spotting for dust, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will not be considered for this contest.
- Entries will be judged on originality, composition, and artistic merit, as well as the accompanying story.
- Participants under the age of 12 may request “grown-up help” to answer the question, “What’s your story?” But, grown-up helpers, please allow children to answer the question as they would like to. We genuinely want to know how they see things!
- Judges decisions are final.
Awards and prizes
- In each age bracket, there will be awards for first and second place, as well as any entries earning an Honorable Mention.
- All winning photographs will be published in the Hune issue of ECHO Magazine.
- One winning photo will be selected for the cover of the June ECHO Magazine.