By Joshua Salim
ANCHORAGE, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (9-19) completed a comeback down 8-2 against the Anchorage Glacier Pilots (14-12) for a 10-9 win in the eleventh inning on Sunday.
Brian Cardone (0-2) made his first start for the Chinooks pitching two innings with four hits, five runs, three walks, and two strikeouts. Tyler Wynkoop (1-1) relieved Cardone for an inning and a third. He surrendered five hits and two runs to the Pilots.
The final three pitchers Joey Leavitt (0-0), Honus Kindreich (1-2), and Daniel Freeman (1-1) would close the final seven and two-thirds innings allowing seven hits, two runs, and two walks. Freeman picked up his first win of the season in the contest.
Offensively, the Chinooks brought in a single run in the second and third innings to get their scoring started. Brandon Cody picked up his second home run at Mulcahy Stadium for the lone run in the second inning. Mason Corbett reached base in the third on an error from the shortstop before Haden Keller walked to advance him to second. Both runners would move up on a passed ball, but only Corbett would score on J Paul Fullerton’s RBI groundout to second base.
In the sixth inning, the Chinooks would begin the journey of a comeback with five runs, six hits, and an error in the inning. Chugiak sent 11 players to the plate in the inning. Paddy McKermitt leadoff with a single before Dylan Gardner reached on an error from the first baseman. Mason Corbett walked to load the bases and then Haden Keller and J Paul Fullerton each hit an RBI single for the first two runs. The third run came in on a wild pitch and then Ethan English singled for the fourth run. The final run was brought in on an RBI single to right field by Brandon Cody to plate Fullerton.
In the eighth inning, Ethan English hit his team-leading third home run of the season to tie the game 8-8.
The Chinooks pushed ahead for the first time with two runs in the top of the eleventh inning. Trevor Cho leadoff with a single and was moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Paddy McKermitt. Next up, Dylan Gardner doubled to put Cho on third and Mason Corbett was intentionally walked to load the bases. Haden Keller had the biggest hit of the game with his two-run single to centerfield that led to the 10-9 win.
- Daniel Freeman picked up his first win of the season.
- 8 of 9 starters had a hit in the game with 6 that had at least two.
- The first five players in the lineup combined for six runs, 12 hits, six walks, and nine RBI’s.
- Chinooks had their most hits in a game this season with 16.
- Haden Keller went 2 for 5 at the plate with a run, two walks, and three RBI’s.
- Ethan English picked up his team-leading third home run and Brandon Cody picked up his second of the season.
- Mason Corbett, Brandon Cody, and Dylan Gardner all doubled in the game.
- J Paul Fullerton threw out his fifth base stealer of the season.
- First extra-inning game the Chinooks have won this season.
- Mason Corbett has reached in every nine-inning game that he has started this season.
The Chinooks are back in action July 9 and Lee Jordan Field against the Bucs. First pitch is at 7:00 p.m.