By Joshua Salim
KENAI, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (4-4) reeled in a 9-1 win against the Kenai Peninsula Oilers (2-6) Thursday night.
Zach Sundine (1-0) made his third start for the Chinooks and picked up his first win of the season. Sundine threw six innings of scoreless baseball on three hits, two walks and eight strikeouts.
In the first six innings, the Chinooks would pick up the bulk of their scoring in the second and third innings. Chugiak scored a single run in the second inning off of a leadoff walk from Ethan English who scored on an RBI double from Brandon Cody.
The next inning, six runs would score off three errors, three hits, and four walks. Mason Corbett reached base on a walk to begin the inning before Haden Keller singled to right field. Pate Fullerton would then load the bases after a walk. Brandon Cody and Jake Collins would hit groundballs that turned into back-to-back errors to bring in the first two runs. Paddy McKermitt picked up two RBI’s on a double down the leftfield line before Trevor Cho earned the final RBI of the inning on a single to second base.
Joey Leavitt (0-0) would give up the only run for the Oilers, on two hits in the bottom of the seventh inning. Daniel Freeman (0-1) would then finish the game’s final two innings on the mound. Freeman gave up three hits and no runs with two strikeouts in his outing.
The Chinooks would pick up two insurance runs in the top of the ninth inning off of an Ethan English walk, who scored on an error from the third baseman, and a Paddy McKermitt single to plate J Paul Fullerton.
- Zach Sundine picked up his first win of the season.
- Sundine’s eight strikeouts match his last start for the high of the season so far.
- Sundine now holds the most strikeouts on the team with 18 in 13 innings.
- Paddy McKermitt went 2 for 4 at the plate with a double, single, run, walk, and three RBI’s.
- 8 of 10 players scored a run in the game.
- The Chinooks have scored a run in the second inning of every game of the series in Kenai.
- Ethan English has a walk or hit-by-pitch and a run scored in every game of the Kenai road trip.
- Trevor Cho picked up his first hit of the season.
- Mason Corbett has a walk in every game he has played in this season.
The Chinooks will play a double-header next against the Peninsula Oilers on Saturday. The first game starts at 5:00 p.m. and can be found online at the link below: