By Joshua Salim
KENAI, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (2-4) end a four-game losing streak with a 6-3 win over the Peninsula Oilers (2-4).
Both teams are tied for fourth place in the Alaska Baseball League, six games into the season.
The Chinooks picked up the first run of the game in the second inning to take an early 1-0 lead over the Oilers. Ethan English led off the inning with a single to centerfield and was moved to second base on a sac-bunt from Pate Fullerton. Two batters later, Joe Brazil picked up the RBI with a single to left field to score English.
In the sixth inning, the Chinooks would pile on three more runs to take a 4-0 lead. The inning began with back-to-back doubles from Ethan English and Pate Fullerton for the first run in the sixth. Joe Brazil walked and stole second before Paddy McKermitt walked to put runners on every base. With two outs, Jess Davis hit a groundball single to the shortstop that brought in two runners for the final runs of the inning.
In the final inning, Haden Keller drew a walk before scoring from first base on an RBI double from Ethan English.
The next two batters would walk and the last run would come in on a sacrifice fly ball from Joe Brazil to right field for a 6-0 lead.
The Chinooks pitching staff combined for eight innings of scoreless baseball between starter Trevor McGhee’s (0-0) four innings, Honus Kindreich’s (1-1) three innings, and Daniel Freeman’s (0-1) lone inning on the mound. The three would give up five hits and four walks while racking up four strikeouts collectively.
In the bottom of the ninth inning, Brian Cardone (0-0) struggled to find the strike-zone early, giving up three runs on three walks and two hits, but was able to pick up the final three outs to give the Chinooks their second win of the season.
- Ethan English went 3 for 4 at the plate with 2 doubles, a single, a hit-by-pitch, and an RBI. English scored three of the six runs for the Chinooks.
- Joe Brazil went 3 for 3 at the plate with 3 singles, a walk, a sac-fly, a run, and 2 RBI’s.
- Jake Collins picked up his first hit of the season on a double to left-center field.
- Mason Corbett has drawn a walk in every game he has played in.
- Trevor McGhee is fourth among pitchers in the ABL with a 0.00 ERA in 7 innings of pitching and two strikeouts gained.
The Chinooks will play game two of the Kenai trip Thursday night at 7:00. Tune in to the live broadcast on YouTube at the Chinooks Channel below: