By Joshua Salim
Kenai, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (3-4) picked up a 4-1 win against the Peninsula Oilers (2-5) on the road at Coral Seymour Memorial Park Thursday night.
For the first time this season, a starting pitcher for the Chinooks would pick up the win on the mound. Michael Barker (1-0) picked up his first win of the season, throwing five scoreless innings. Barker would give up four hits, three walks, and two strikeouts in his outing.
For the next two innings, Tyler O’Clair (0-1) and Tyler Wynkoop (0-0) would combine for no hits, no runs, a strikeout, and a walk.
In the eighth, Corbin Barker (0-0) would give up the only run (unearned) for the Oilers. After a leadoff error, Barker worked hard for the next two outs before a pinch-hit single to leftfield was barely missed by a diving attempt from Joe Brazil at third base to plate the runner.
Justin Fox (1-1) would finish off the game and receive his first save of the season. Fox gave up one hit and earned a strikeout in his lone inning on the mound.
Offensively, the Chinooks plated four runs on six hits, an error, a hit-by-pith, and three walks. In the second inning, Ethan English doubled to left-centerfield as the leadoff runner before Jake Collins brought him home on a two-out single.
In the fourth inning, the Chinooks would add two more runs.
Haden Keller led off with a single before he was moved to third base on a two-base error from a pickoff attempt. Ethan English picked up an RBI on a groundout to second base for the first run in the inning. Daniel Freeman drew a walk and stole second base before coming into score on a J Paul Fullerton double in the right-center gap for the final run of the inning.
In the fifth inning, a fourth and final run scored off Brandon Cody’s leadoff triple and Haden Keller’s RBI single to leftfield.
- Michael Barker picked up his first win of the season.
- Justin Fox picked up the first save for the Chinooks this season.
- 3 of 6 hits were extra base hits: 2 doubles and a triple.
- Haden Keller went 2 for 4 with a run and an RBI. He also has the second highest batting average in the league at .379.
- Keller is now in double-digit hits, leading the team with 11 and received his team-leading seventh RBI.
- Keller has a hit in all but one game this season. In four of the seven games, he has at least two.
- Ethan English has a hit in all but one of the six games he has played in. In his last two games, he is averaging two hits, an RBI and 1.5 doubles per game.
- Mason Corbett continues his streak of a walk in every game this season.
The Chinooks play next at 7:00 on June 14 against the Peninsula Oilers for game 3 in Kenai. Tune in to the live broadcast on YouTube at the link below: