By Joshua Salim
CHUGIAK, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (6-13) picked up their thirteenth loss of the season as the Anchorage Bucs (14-5) prevailed 7-5 on Wednesday night.
Sam Brace (1-1) picked up his first loss of the season after allowing five runs on six hits and three walks. Brace threw four innings for the Chinooks and received two strikeouts in his outing.
Corbin Barker (0-1) relieved Brace and shutdown all scoring for the Bucs until the ninth inning. In the ninth, Barker gave up a solo homerun and a hit-by-pitch before Joey Leavitt (0-0) came in to finish the inning. Barker recorded five strikeouts in his four and a third innings, while giving up two runs on three hits and two walks. Leavitt would not allow a hit or walk in his two-thirds on the mound.
The Chinooks offense picked up a single run in every inning between the second through the fifth. In the second inning, Trevor Cho picked up a walk and scored on an RBI groundout by Dylan Gardner. For the next inning, Jess Davis singled in his at bat before he stole second base and came in on a sacrifice fly from Haden Keller.
In the fourth inning, Trevor Cho drew a walk and came around to score on a wild pitch for the lone run in the inning. For the fifth inning, Ethan English leadoff with a double to leftfield before Haden Keller moved him to third on a groundout to second base and Daniel Freeman hit a sacrifice fly to score him.
In the bottom of the ninth inning, the Chinooks would add a single run after J Paul Fullerton was hit with a pitch and scored on a two-out single from Daniel Freeman for his second RBI of the game.
- Jess Davis went 2 for 5 at the plate with a run scored.
- Davis is now tied for most hits on the team with 20.
- Ethan English went 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored.
- English picked up his fifth double of the season, tied for the most on the team.
- Trevor Cho went 1 for 2 at the plate with two walks, a hit-by-pitch and two runs scored.
- Daniel Freeman went 1 for 2 at the plate with two RBI’s in the game.
- Freeman now has 12 RBI’s and tied for most on the team.
- Mason Corbett has reached base in every game he has played in this season.
The Chinooks are back in action on Thursday night at Lee Jordan Field for Military Appreciation Night! Festivities begin around 6:20 p.m. and the first pitch will follow shortly at 7:00 p.m.