By Emily Jones
Every year mom and I grow and harvest rhubarb. I love eating fresh rhubarb dipped in sugar or honey to make it sweet.
I love making strawberry rhubarb pie, and I love even more being able to eat large pieces while it’s still warm. Strawberry rhubarb pie isn’t that hard to make, and is really good. I like mixing the rhubarb and sugar and cutting and mixing the dough to fit under and on top of the pie. Strawberry rhubarb pie is delicious and fun for everyone to make.
Here is a recipe so you can make strawberry rhubarb pie at home.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
1 pound of fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 pints of fresh strawberries
1 cup of white sugar
½ cup of all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. of butter
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. of white sugar
1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
- In a large bowl, mix flour and 1 cup sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.
- Apply yolk to top of pie, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top (if not using strips) to let steam escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack.