Attention Nerf warriors and wanna-be spectators: The Nerf Battle Royale sponsored by the Eagle River Area Rotary has a new and better location for this epic fundraising war to take place.
The outdoor fields at the Harry J. McDonald Memorial Center are the new venue.
The event’s brainchild, John “LJ” Kennedy, editor-in-chief of the ECHO News and general manager of Eagle River Printing, couldn’t be happier about the location change. He asserts the move paves the way for the Rotary to even more thoroughly fulfill its goal of directing increased funding that goes directly to the local park versus being spread across the Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation budget.
The move, Kennedy said, “allows us (the Rotary club) to direct more funds to the repair of the park.”
Other benefits of the venue move include:
- Improved spectator access with ample parking and ability to give vendors close proximity to playing fields where the action will occur.
- Elimination of additional municipal-mandated traffic mitigation.
- Elimination of port-a-potty requirements at the Town Square Park. Bathrooms inside the Donald Center will be available.
- Decreased cost to rent field at McDonald Center versus rental of Town Square Park.
These issues combined mean the local Rotary club will be able to give an even larger amount of money to the Town Square Park specifically because costs associated with the Nerf Battle Royale are reduced.
Kennedy explained that the local Rotary club’s board of directors voted this year to make Town Park funding a community service project priority. Kennedy is a member of the local Rotary.
Members know the park has suffered from vandalism at a time when the municipal budget is shrinking. Rotary members – many of whom enjoy the park and its amenities and know how much other community members do the same – agreed the park’s needs fit with the group’s Four-Way test that guides its decision-making.
The Four-Way test asks these questions:
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Thus, while the location or the Nerf Battle Royale has been changed from the original location desired by Rotary members within the Town Square Park itself, the event’s mission remains the same: Provide the local community with a win-win event that raises funds to help the Eagle River Town Square while local folks have a whole bunch of fun.
It isn’t too late to register, or um, more accurately, enlist for the battle!
Go to www.echoak.com and get yourself or your team signed up today!